|Jesus teaches about His Flesh and Blood & The Bread of Life|
Jesus teaches about His Flesh and Blood & The Bread of Life
THE GREAT GOSPEL OF JOHN Volume 6, Chapter 43 to 46
Chapter 43 – The bread of life (John 6,22-35)
1. But the next day, when we went out into the open after breakfast in order to look around at what was there, we met a great number of people at the shore who had followed us in the night from Tiberias with great difficulties. But they were the same people who had stood yesterday evening on the other side of the sea on the banks and indeed observed that the disciples had sailed away alone over the sea without Me. And these people now also saw that no other ship was there apart from their own recognizable ships and the one in which the disciples had sailed away alone, as well as that I did not enter the ship at its departure at all, and that My disciples had sailed away alone. (John 6:22)
2. But when we were walking up and down along the shore, other small boats arrived which had only left Tiberias early in the morning. They had first sailed to the place, got out and visited the place where they had eaten the bread through My benidiction in order to convince themselves that I was no longer there. (John 6:23) But since they had not found neither Me nor My disciples there, they hurried quickly back to the ships which were waiting for them and sailed back to Capernaum with a good wind; for they knew that the disciples had gone to Capernaum. When they arrived in Capernaum at midday, they immediately sought the disciples, and above all Me, to see if I was there. (John 6:24)
3. And when they found Me after a long search, namely in a school in Capernaum, as will be shown later, and now saw clearly that I must obviously have come across the sea from Tiberias to Capernaum, since I would have needed a good few days to make the long trip by land over the many mountains and valleys to get to Capernaum, they (those who had followed) asked Me and said: “Oh Rabbi, (Master) how did you get across the sea?” (Joh.6,25)
4. But I quickly gave the disciples a sign not to tell this to anyone, for I was intending to teach these heroes of the old faith a lesson that would be quite suitable to separate the chaff from the wheat.
5. And so I said to the inquirers: “Truly, truly, I say to you all: You seek Me not because you saw the many signs which I have performed but because as hungry people on the mountain you ate of the loaves and were satiated. (John 6:26) You therefore have called Me a great prophet out of thanks and finally wanted to even make Me your king, because you thought to yourselves: ‘Behold, he has sufficient power over our enemies, for whom we have to work and in addition he can also always provide us with bread and we will then no longer have to work!’
6. But I say to you all: The food does not work for the spiritual life of the soul, but only for temporal life of the fleshly body. I, as now the Son of Man, however, want and will show and give you all another food which remains and works for eternity in the soul. Since for that the Father in heaven has sealed and destined Me. (John 6:27) And this food consists of truly performing God’s will and thereby also doing God’s work.”
7. Then the inquirers said to Me: “Then tell us what we should do that we may effectuate the works of God? (John 6:28) We are only people and not prophets and can only live according to the laws of Moses.”
8. I said: “Yes, if you had kept the law of Moses, you would have recognized Me long ago! But out of fear of worldly punishment you hold on to the statues of the world with secret fierceness and therefore do not recognize Me, despite the fact that I have performed such signs before your eyes which never ever before have been performed by any other person.
9. But I now want to tell you what the work of God is from now on. This is the work of God from now on, which can be effectuated by you thereby, that you believe in Me as in Him whom God prophesied through the prophets and now has sent to you all into this world!” (John 6:29)
10. Then all of them widened their eyes in amazement and said: “What other signs do you then perform beyond those already seen by us? Tell us and show us, that we may see, and believe what You say about Yourself! Thus which other signs do you perform? (Joh.6,30) Until now we only know that you have healed all kinds of illnesses and that you really have fed us in a truly miraculous way until we were satiated with a lot of bread from the few loaves on the mountain. However other prophets from Moses onwards have also performed similar and also even greater signs. Did not our fathers eat the manna in the wilderness, as it is written: ‘He gave them bread out of heaven to eat.’ (John 6:31)
11. At this point I said to them: “Truly, truly! It is not Moses who has given you bread from true heaven, but only from the visible, earthly sky out of the air; but it is My Father in the true, spiritual heaven who now gives you the true bread out of heaven through Me. (John 6:32) For the bread of God is which comes down out of heaven in Me and gives life to the world!” (John 6:33)
12. But they did not understand that, when referring to the true bread which gives the soul eternal life, I only meant My word and My teaching, which goes forth out of the eternally most living love and wisdom of God and thereby is life and wisdom itself and gives the soul true life.
13. Therefore, because they understood this only to be the bread that they had eaten on the mountain, they also said: “Lord and master, give us then this bread to eat evermore, and we will demand nothing further!” (John 6:34)
14. I then said: “What are you saying and what are you demanding? Have you then not understood what I was saying? I am the true bread of life! He who comes to Me shall not hunger and he who believes shall never thirst!” (John 6:35)
15. They then said: “Lord, we are still with you! And since we have had nothing to eat since this morning, we are nonetheless beginning to be hungry and thirsty, although we believe that you are a great prophet, perhaps greater than Moses, about whom one can no longer say with great certainty that he truly once existed. We have never seen Moses; but we have seen you and still see you, and so you are obviously more than Moses and all the old prophets. But nonetheless we are already quite hungry and thirsty. What then does your word mean?”
16. I said to John quietly: “Do you see, what I secretly told you yesterday on the mountain, was it not true?! These people are still on the level of animals, and I am therefore speaking concealed so that they will become quite senseless and leave Me; for their time is not yet here.”
Chapter 44 – The Lord’s Mission on Earth. The Flesh and Blood of the Lord (John 6,36-58)
1. At this point I turned back to the people again and said: “But what are you saying? Have I ever said that you have not seen Me?! But I know and I say and have said to you that you have seen Me and My signs and yet do not believe (John 6:36), that all and everything what the Father in heaven gives to Me shall come to Me; and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out (John 6:37).
2. Remember what I say to you: I am not like you of this world. For I have come down from heaven not to do My own will but the will of Him who sent Me.(John 6:38)
3. Then they asked and said: “What is then the will of he who sent you from heaven to us into this world?”
4. I said: “For deaf ears it is hard to preach and for the blind it is difficult to write. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all He has given Me, I lose nothing, but I bring it back and awaken it to life again on the youngest day. (John 6:39)
5. Then many said: “The man speaks strangely; it seems to us that he is crazy.”
6. But others said: “Speak plainly and explain yourself clearly! What is it about the youngest day?”
7. I said: “If you recognize Me and believe in Me, then a youngest, true day will rise in your soul, in which I will awaken you all through the power of the truth of My teaching. But if you do not believe in Me and do not recognize Me, there hardly will ever be a youngest day in your soul.”
8. The people said once again: “So tell us then clearly what the will is of the Father!”
9. I said: “Thus listen! For this is the will of My Father who sent Me, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him and acknowledges Him as the true Messiah of the world may have eternal life; and I Myself will awaken him on the youngest day. (John 6:40) But what the last day is, I have already shown to you.”
10. At this the Jews began to grumble, particularly since I had said: ‘I am the bread of life that came down from heaven.’ (John 6:41)
11. And they said: “Is he not the carpenter Jesus, the son of Joseph the carpenter?! We know him, his father and his mother only too well, don’t we? How thus can he say that he has come down from heaven? (John 6:42) His reason and his otherwise rare characteristics could in any case have been given to him from heaven, since without a divine breath no great and famous man has ever existed anywhere; but he himself cannot claim before us firmly that he has come to us from heaven even as a truest bread for eternal life!”
12. I said to them: “Do not grumble among yourselves. (John 6:43) I tell you all once again: No one can come to Me (recognize Me) unless the Father (the love from God and for God) who sent Me draws him closer; and I (My word and My teaching) will awaken him on the youngest day. (John 6:44)
13. It is even written in the prophets: ‘At that time which will come – and which is here now – they all will be taught by God!’ And therefore I say to you now: Who has learned it from the Father (God’s love), comes to Me (he will also recognize Me indeed). (John 6:45)
14. But I do not say that to you now as if any one of you has ever seen the Father except for Me, the One who is from God; I have seen the Father. (John 6:46) Therefore I say to you all despite your grumbling: Truly, truly, who believes in Me already has eternal life (thus My full resurrection on the youngest day) in him. (John 6:47) I Myself am truly the bread of life! (John 6:48)
15. Your fathers indeed ate the manna in the wilderness (sensual fleshly life), and they died, many even in their souls. (Joh.6,49) However, this bread, which I represent in Myself, and which has truly come down from heaven of all being and life, effectuates, that everyone who eats from it (accepts the teaching in faith and acts accordingly) will never die. (Joh.6,50)
16. Truly, I have come down from heaven as the living bread! Whoever eats from this bread (accepts the teaching in practice) will live in eternity! And behold, the bread which I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the human lives of this world!” (John 6:51) (By this is to be understood the external, material clothing of My word, within which the living, spiritual word is found like the living seed in its dead shell.)
17. That was now too much for the Jews, who did not have the slightest conception of a spiritual sense, and they began to bicker among one another.
18. One group said: “Let’s allow him to speak, and in the end we will indeed see what will come of it all!”
19. However, the less moderate said: “Oh, what! You can see and notice at first glance that the man is not in full possession of his senses! Previously he was still only bread from heaven that we should eat in order to receive eternal life; but now he even demands that we should eat his body! Craziness! How can this man give us His flesh to eat? (John 6:52) And how many will indeed be able to satiate themselves by eating his flesh to enter eternal life?! If that is the condition for attaining eternal life of the soul, then precious few will achieve it!”
20. I said: “You may fight and bicker as much as you like, nonetheless it is as I have said to you. And I now say to you even more than that: unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you will have no life in yourselves. (John 6:53) (What the body means has already been shown; the blood as the actual physical fluid of life which gives life to the body, maintains it, feeds it and gives it the reproductive seed of life, is the actual inner spirit of life in the external letter words.)
21. Now some of the Jews were even more incensed.
22. Some of them even began to laugh, but the more moderate said: “Let him speak! Who knows what will come out of it all in the end! We indeed know that he has otherwise often spoken very wisely.” And they turned to Me and said: “Dear master, we beg you to speak sensibly!”
23. I said: “How can I do that?! I am now speaking as He whom you recognized on the mountain; I speak before you all as a great prophet! But show Me a prophet who has ever spoken in any other way before the people! And thus I say to you all one more time: He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will awaken him on the youngest day. (Joh.6,54) For My flesh is true food, and My blood is the true animating drink. (John 6:55)
24. In addition I say to you all: He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. (John 6:56) As the eternally living Father truly sent Me, and I live for the sake of the Father, likewise he who eats Me, will also live for the sake of Me. (John 6:57) And it is exactly that bread which has come from heaven, as has already been said, which does not have the effect of the manna in the desert which your fathers ate and then died, as I have already shown you, but instead whoever eats this bread will live in eternity. (John 6:58)
Chapter 45 – The people’s opinions on the speech of the Lord (John 6,59-64)
1. Since I have said this in a synagogue in Capernaum (John 6:59), where there were besides My now many disciples and besides the large number of people who had followed Me from Jerusalem, also a number of Jews present, and this teaching of Mine that even My first disciples did not understand, caused a lot of amazement and great commotion and gave rise to many disputes.
2. Some said: “He cannot have meant the flesh and blood of his body.”
3. Others said: “Yes, what else should we then understand by this? If he is a wise man and wants to teach the people – and in a public school at that – he should speak to the people so that they can understand him; for we people are only human and not spirits, and a true wise man must indeed know that and see clearly what sort of listeners he is dealing with. But that was such a ridiculously difficult lesson that truly no humanly sensible person can listen to it! (John 6:60) We were only surprised how many people could have listened to it for so long. If he had given this lesson in Indian, we would have had the same use from it!”
4. But the more moderate said again: “That is indeed true to begin with, but nonetheless we believe that something quite different is behind it all, and that he has perhaps only spoken so intentionally in order to force our souls to think more actively and more deeply – and if we ask him for a closer explanation, perhaps he will give it to us?!”
5. Said the others: “Haven’t we done that?! When he was supposed to explain to us more closely how he is to be understood, coming down from heaven as true bread, he then mentioned even his own flesh and blood that we should eat and drink in order to receive eternal life! Those are either intentionally such craftily given riddle teachings that no man ever will understand, or the otherwise good man has permitted himself to joke with us. Let it be as he wishes, neither the one nor the other can have any value for us! But whoever has healthy reason like we do, follow us and go his own way!”
6. At this point many left the synagogue, and only the many disciples remained, as well as the twelve chosen apostles, of course; for they were still waiting for a more detailed explanation. But even they were mumbling among one another and saying: “It is indeed strange of Him! Today He could have made thousands into firm followers of His teaching with a clear lesson appropriate for human reason; but in this way He has injured Himself for a long time to come! For who will be able to listen and bear Him any more from now on?!”
7. Even the Greek Jews said to one another: “That is a huge jump and difference between the lessons in Bethany and this one here now! The Jews who have now left, have judged things, as they are now, quite correctly. But perhaps He will express Himself more clearly about it later – and now they are all away who wanted to make Him into their king on the mountain, and so there will be less to prevent Him from speaking openly to us.”
8. But since I noticed it by Myself that many disciples were also annoyed and grumbling among one another, I said to them: “How can that cause you to stumble?! (John 6:61) Did I not say to one of My disciples that these people are not mature enough by far for the inner acceptance of the Kingdom of God?! But I have dealt them all a good blow now which will occupy them quite a lot and make them more mature in future. For I must first prepare the people so that in the future they will be all the more capable of understanding the deeper secrets of the Kingdom of God.”
9. The disciples said: “Yes, yes, that can all be so and will certainly be so; since Your wonderful signs speak for this. But that we should eat Your flesh and drink Your blood in order to gain eternal life, Lord and Master, that is obviously something that is purely impossible to carry out for us according to the manner of Your speech! Certainly we all care very much about avoiding death – even if it only means the present life of the soul, because the body in any case is only earth and dust which hardly can ever be reanimated again – ; but if such a thing is only possible at the cost of Your bodily flesh and blood, which in any case would be enough for only very few, then we will do without the eternal life of the soul and will end our life for eternity on this earth as honest men. But if You mean something else by this, then You would truly do well to give us a tiny light on the subject. If You are going to ascend again soon to where You have come from according to Your claim, where and how will we then be able to have Your flesh and blood? Thus today’s lesson means obviously absolutely nothing without a closer explanation!”
10. I said: “Have I not said then that it is difficult for the deaf to preach and it is difficult for the blind to write?! It is the spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; but the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life and not an earthly flesh and blood. (John 6:63)
11. But I now say to you all quite openly that there are some of you who either have no or very little faith, and there are even some among My older disciples whom I knew from the beginning who had only little faith and one of them is even a greedy thief and a traitor! (John 6:64)
Chapter 46 – A test for the disciples of the Lord (John 6,65-70)
1. This had a thundering effect so that many of them became quite appalled about this and said: “Lord, why did You not say this much earlier?! Truly, we would have discovered such an unworthy person among us a long time ago and got rid of him forever, if You in Your great patience did not want to lay hands on him Yourself!”
2. I said: “I have told you all often enough that everything in this world has its own time and measure. At harvest no clever farmer will reap the weeds with the pure wheat, but instead only the pure ears of wheat, and he will have all the weeds that have grown up wildly among the wheat collected into bundles by his servants in order to burn it to fertilize the field.
3. For this reason I have said to you all earlier that truly no-one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by the Father (John 6:65), who is Love and Life and Truth in Himself, just as I am by My Father and thus also to the same degree by Me, since I am in the Father and He is in Me.
4. Surely, no one of you should believe to be already truly with Me because he moves around with Me, listens to My words and marvels at My signs – but only he alone is truly with Me who has an inner, very pure love for Me and who believes without a second thought everything that I teach, and that I, presently the Son of Man, have come from the Father and am one with Him in the spirit.”
5. Then the disciples, including the Greek Jews and the twelve, said: “Yes, if so, then our travels with Him are of no use! The difficult and the incredible we do not understand – and thus we cannot believe it. Loving Him completely quite purely is also a thing, since He now truly behaves towards us in a way that little fondness for Him can fill us. Therefore we shall now just go back to our Moses; for he is clearer and more understandable for us. Loving God in any case only means keeping His commandments and thus we hope to one day become blessed even without believing in this puzzling lesson.”
6. As a result of this many then withdrew and no longer walked with Me, although later they thought quite hard about these My words. (John 6:66) But since I did not say a word to any of those leaving, that he should stay and have patience, also those who stayed began to make very troubled faces and did not know what to do, – whether also they should leave or stay.
7. Then I said to them all in a friendly and questioning tone of voice: “You do not want to leave as well, do you? (John 6:67) You are as free before Me as every man on this earth.”
8. Then Simon Peter said to Me: “Lord, to whom shall we go? You alone have the words of life, even if we are not able to understand them immediately in all their depths. (John 6:68) At the right time You will enlighten us about it, when we are more worthy of Your higher light than now. And we have believed that from the beginning and recognized that You are the Christ and the living Son of God, and so we cannot possibly ever leave You again, oh Lord! (John 6:69) Lord, just do not send us away, and still have patience with our great weaknesses!”
9. I said: “That is good and right, and so it shall remain! But since we are remaining here in this open model school in Capernaum, I cannot avoid revealing something else to you. You all know how last year in this area I chose you twelve out of the many disciples – and behold, nonetheless there is a devil among you!” (John 6:70)