|Jesus explains… Many are called, yet Few are chosen
Heavenly Gifts V2-191
Task of the Youth
January 23, 1849
The Lord says:
Inquiry of Felix Hüttenbrenner about Matthew 20:16… Many are called, yet Few are chosen.
1. My dear Student Felix! I like you quite a lot, and I am glad that you are beginning to think of Me more often, and wish to get some ‘disclosures’ from Me as well. However, you’re still not mature enough for that.
2. For the time being, just be diligent in your studies and cleanse your tree of life and your tree of knowledge from the outermost rotten and dead bark, as well as from the moss and the occasional caterpillar nests – if you do this, I will surely invigorate and strengthen the core of your tree, so that it may bear more noble fruits. Then you will be a chosen one, which is allotted to only a few.
3. However, if you will not rightfully fulfill what your current mandatory studies enforce upon you, and thus will not cleanse your tree of life and tree of knowledge from its outermost rotten and dead bark, as well as the moss and the occasional caterpillar nests, meaning one’s own spirits of sloth – in that case the core of your tree will remain weak and dull, and you will not become a chosen one, but only a simple called one, as there are many thousands of them.
4. See, if a well is frozen shut in the winter, the ice sheet must be penetrated first before one can reach the water beneath. Likewise you must – through much diligence – break through the ice of your mind first. Only then will it show, if your inner water of life is suitable for cooking, or only for washing of dirty clothes. The cooking water is a ‘chosen one’, and the washing water is a ‘called one’. So make sure that you become ‘cooking water’!
5. However, there is still much more water, which is neither useful for cooking nor washing, rather only for carrying great burdens and for absorbing all the filth of the world, like the ocean. Hence, make sure that no ‘sea water’ accumulates in your fountain of life! For that water is, for now, neither called, and even less chosen, but only judged.
6. I have given you now, what you need to know in order to understand your quoted text. Once you have matured, however, you will receive a more mature elucidation. So then, take this to heart! Amen.
Heavenly Gifts V3-85
Many are called, yet Few are chosen
May 18, 1847
The Lord says:
1. This passage of the gospel has been, like no other, completely misunderstood by almost all religious denominations. For almost all of them are of the opinion, including the Romans, where this belief has been preached from all the pulpits, that only the chosen few will enter heaven, while all the rest of the many called ones will infallibly be hurled down into hell for all eternity after the equally misunderstood youngest day of judgment.
2. Now, in order for this passage of the gospel to be understood correctly, I will set forth an illustration, to show you how it should be understood in spirit and in truth. And so, hear the illustration, which goes as follows:
3. In the Orient, there once was a great, wise and mighty king. His empire was large, and many peoples bowed under his scepter. This king once decided for himself to host a great banquet, so that he may get to know more of the manifold skills his subjects possessed. All the housefathers and their eldest sons and daughters were invited to join the festivities, so that the king may choose the wisest and most brilliant sons from among all the invited ones into his manifold court service. The daughters, if they happen to be of great beauty and are well educated, would become his wives and other female bedfellows.
4. However, when the citizens received this invitation, they were secretly terrified, for they thought it was only a clever ruse of the mighty king to lure them all in his residence, and once they were there, he would kill them off one by one, delighting in the sight of the blood of his citizens. In light of this, everyone excused themselves, and in the end, none of the invited made their way to the royal palace.
5. Once the king had noticed for what surreptitious reason none of the invited dared to show up to his banquet, he said to his servants… “What am I to do now? Look, the great banquet has been readied, and who is to consume it now? And yet, I see many curious individuals in the alleys and streets, as well as many who climb onto the fences and wait there, observing what I would do with the invited ones, who came to the banquet. So, go out to the fences, alleys and streets, and whomever you meet there, bring them here, so that My great feast may be consumed. Don’t pay attention to how they are dressed, if bridal or not, it doesn’t matter; because right now we are only concerned with the consumption of the feast, so that it won’t rot. Once this has been taken care of, only then will we inspect what kind of guests My banquet had, and if they were worthy to partake in it.”
6. Once the many servants had received this order from their great king, they rushed outside through all the gates and brought everyone they met in the alleys, streets and on the fences to the banquet of the king, and among those were many who had been invited.
7. Once the guests beheld the king’s great kindness and benevolence, their foolish fear melted away and they rejoiced and abundantly praised the graciousness and wisdom of the king. They could not understand how they ever came to fear him so badly.
8. Once the feast was consumed, the king took a friendly stroll among the many guests, conferring with the fathers and the younglings and took a good look at the daughters. And whoever was particularly to the king’s liking was chosen from among the great crowd of guests and enlisted into his court service, and the chosen were clothed with royal garments right away. However, this saddened many of the guests, that upon them no such honor was bestowed.
9. The king turned his gaze to the saddened ones and said to them… “Why do you mourn, that I chose some of you and your children to serve in My royal household, because of the attributes and skills, I discovered in them. Are they not your children? Why are you upset and envy them for their lot? Behold, only a grand assignment of great importance is awaiting them; other than that, they are nothing more and nothing less than you, My friends, if they obey My law. For all whom I have chosen are subject to the same law and freedom as you are, and if they wanted to they could act contrary to it, and in doing so they would subsequently be subjected to a fitting judgment; all of this is the case for you as well, My friends. I, however, have the power to completely suspend this law for them, as well as for you, so that a great peace may rule in My kingdom, in My royal household, as well as among all the wise citizens of My kingdom! So please, calm yourselves in light of the chosen; for I, your lord and king, am in need of the citizens as well, on behalf of which I have chosen these court servants in the first place.”
10. When the guests had heard this from the king, they became joyful and praised the great benevolence and wisdom of their king. However, among the many cheering people was also a mangy sheep. While the rest were rejoicing, exulting and singing ‘Hosanna’ to their great king, this one started to berate and curse him for his condescension to his people.
11. But the king had this one taken and put before him as soon as possible. Once this singular vilifier stood before the king, clothed in rags and tatters, the king fiercely questioned him… “Miserable vilifier and curser of My kindness and great love for My people, how did you get into My royal chambers dressed in such an unworthy way? I know that you have always opposed My goodness and wisdom! You never have put on a wedding garment before Me. Therefore, seize him, My loyal servants, and throw him into the darkest dungeon; there he shall cry and gnash with his teeth in sheer horror!!!”
12. Look, only this one is said to have been thrown into the dungeon, but none of the invited ones. With them, only their worldly foolishness is rebuked, and not their wickedness; but this mangy sheep however has been judged. And thus, learn through this illustration the correct and inner meaning of the above mentioned text, namely, that you shall not only think the chosen worthy of My kingdom, but the called ones as well! Amen, amen, amen.
Heavenly Gifts V3-85
Closer Illumination of the previous Parable & A new Parable
May 21, 1847
The Lord says:
1. The Orient is the Kingdom of God, which is the true kingdom of life – or the eternal life in itself. I am its King, the Lord and Creator of all beings, and things, from all eternity.
2. The great banquet is My incarnation on earth, and the great plan for salvation that is tied to it. Many, yes quite a lot are called to have a part in it, especially the great tribes of Israel, all of which, as you know, didn’t want to show up as yet, partly because of fear of the not correctly understood mosaic law, and partly because of the stubbornness of their hearts and their utter unbelief.
3. The capable sons, who are to be chosen from among the many called ones, and enlisted into My service, are the former as well as the coming preachers of My word. And the beautiful and well educated daughters, who are called to be wives and female bedfellows, are the old and still pure teachings, customs and morals of the Jews, who have never bowed their knee before Baal or Mammon.
4. The Inviting ones are partly angels, prophets, and finally all the apostles and disciples, as well as all those servants who have spread My word and My teaching among the people of the earth, completely unadulterated.
5. And those on the streets, alleys and upon the fences are all the people that have lived, are living, and will live on this earth in the future. Namely, those among the alleys are the ones, that are still living on this earth, who are however in some Christian sect, but nevertheless afflicted with all the follies of the world. They are not able, or simply don’t want to grab hold of the true light, so that they for sure may not receive the true, eternal life and become free and blissful.
6. Those on the street are the ones who still live upon this earth, but are still living in a more or less known heathendom, and finally, those upon the fences are the ones who have already died a physical death and are in the spirit world, according to their soul, and there they are being invited to the great banquet of salvation through the proper means of conversion.
7. And finally, among all the invited and now rather drawn and driven to the banquet by force (of love) is one without a wedding garment, which is Satan, and by extension, all the ones who stayed loyal to him and could not be moved to turn back by any means; their lot, like the parable says, will be the dungeon where eternal darkness reigns, and which is filled to the brim with wailing and gnashing of teeth, which means as much as… The wailing is the fundamentally false, the opposite of heaven, and the gnashing of teeth means the fundamentally evil and the wrathful blaze of hell. Because if someone has been set ablaze with extreme wrath, he begins to gnash and gape with his teeth, like an irritated Hyena, or a furious tiger.
8. And with these few words, the whole equivalent between the material illustration and its truthful, spiritual content has been revealed. Whoever wishes to grasp this even more deeply, do as the wise botanist and collector, who counselled with himself, spoke:
9. What am I to do? The plants and the grass of the fields, pastures and gardens I know all too well; I studied and researched what grows upon the Alps, and I am aware of what the swamps are up to and what the waters of the oceans cover. I know everything about them; name, location, root, stalk, leaf, blossom and fruit. What else am I supposed to do with this science? Look, now I know! I wish to more properly equip my eyes, and with them, examine the inside of the tubules, fibers and cells; in doing so I will surely find sufficient material to further develop my spirit.
10. Well thought and even better doing so! The botanist is correct. Whoever knows the matter and its path, or knows the word and its purpose, do as the botanist does; in doing so, you will enter into the depths of the spirit. Someone asks, but how am I supposed to enhance my spiritual vision in order to more deeply comprehend the word of God, and to reach that place where my current vision only perceives the deepest night?!
11. Oh friends, it’s easier than you imagine. Faith is the general, unarmed vision of the heart. Faith, however, shall awaken the love – which is the fire, warmth and the light; which are the three things that broaden, expand, magnify and fully develop everything within the one love, just like the fire, warmth and light of the sun visibly demonstrate it year after year before everyone’s eyes.
12. Love shall consort with patience, which is the fertilizer; with humility, which is the fruitful rain; with gentleness, compassion, faithfulness and truthfulness, which are the good winds that dispel all the violent storms.
13. Embracing these things firmly in one’s heart and acting accordingly will complete the extraordinary armor of the spiritual sight, with which everyone who is not of a grumpy stomach will be able to clearly and deeply behold the inner, eternal wonders of My given word, whereto everyone is called and invited, for eternity… Amen, amen, amen.